Census of Population and Housing
LATEST POPULATION CENSUS - 2011
The Census is the official count of population, dwellings and households in Tonga and it provides a 'snapshot’ of the country at one specific point in time: 30th of November 2011. A Tonga Census has been taken once in every ten years since 1956.
The census provides a unique source of detailed demographic, social and economic data relating the entire population and its most precious resource of its people. This information is used for policy making and planning, monitoring and evaluation, research and other decision‐making.
The census is often the primary source of information such as used for allocation of public funding, especially in areas such as health, education and social policy. The main users of this information are the government, local authorities, education facilities (such as schools and tertiary organizations), businesses, community organizations and the public in general.
This population census 2011 is the first population census by 5 year interval or after 5 years from the previous census in 2006. This was requested by the Electoral Boundary Commission (EBC) according to its Act 2010. Of this Electoral Boundary Commission Act 2010, Section 21 (1) & (2) states;
(1) To facilitate the second determination of boundaries under this Act, the Minister responsible for the administration of the Statistics Act shall cause a general population census to be carried out before the next General Election. (2) The Government Statistician shall certify and provide to the Commission such information,calculations and projections that the Commission may require to enable it to perform its functions under this Act.
SUMMARY OF MAIN INDICATORS
- 2011 Census Key Indicators Vol. 1
- 2011 Census Key Indicators Vol. 2
- 2011 Census Key Indicators Vol. 3
Please click on link above to display.
Tonga 2011 Census Population reports are in 3 volumes. Click on links to view details information.
- Tonga 2011, Census of Population and Housing, Volume 1: Basic Tables and Administrative Report.
- Tonga 2011, Census of Population and Housing, Volume 2: Analytical Report.
- Tonga 2011, Census of Population and Housing, Volume 3: Constituency Boundaries Basic Tables Report.
- There are no files to list.